Monday, May 16, 2005

sometimes I think I live in a cartoon

This past Saturday, I decided to perform the relatively simple act of running the dishwasher. I don't do this often, because I'm only one person and it takes me about a week and a half to fill up the dishwasher to the point where I don't feel it's wasteful to run it. Also, I don't think it works very well. It had been leaving a soapy film on some of the dishes, so I bought some Jet Dry.

Maybe I should preface the rest of this story by admitting that I don't really know anything about dishwasher maintenance. I opened up the compartment you're supposed to fill with liquid Jet Dry and there was a stern, little message that said not to fill past the fill line on the stopper. "Whatever," I thought. "I'm not putting oil in, this isn't a car, it's not going to blow up, right?" And so I proceeded to dump in a little over half of the bottle of Jet Dry. And IN MY DEFENSE it didn't go THAT much higher than the fill line.

So. I close the dishwasher, start it, and wander out to the living room to enjoy some fuzzy, cable-free, Saturday afternoon TV. About 20 minutes later, I went back to the kitchen to get some water and noticed that the floor looked a bit odd. I turned on the light and OH MY GOD BUBBLES EVERYWHERE. There were ACTUAL BUBBLES slipping furiously out of the bottom of the dishwasher. It looked like those washing machines in cartoons that the characters fill with too much detergent. I stood there for a moment, unable to do anything but say, "well . . . huh," until my brain kicked me in the ass and shouted, "Hey, Lucy! Go get some goddamn towels!"

Luckily I had some old towels in the apartment and I just threw those on the floor, trying to mop up the Stream of Bubbles. I briefly wondered if I should turn off the dishwasher, but ended up letting it go so at least at the end of this ordeal I'd have clean dishes.

Right now, the towels are still hanging in my bathroom, slightly damp. The dishes were unloaded, and I'll admit I cursed A LOT when I noticed that the Jet Dry hadn't even done a damn bit of good and some of the dishes still had a soapy film. Of course, that could be excess Jet Dry that just couldn't be rinsed away. Whatever.

On the up side, my floor is sparkly clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment