Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Overcast

Helen: Hey.

Jack: Oh, hey. Sorry. I didn’t see you.

Helen: That’s ok. Whatcha doing?

Jack: Just looking at the sky.

Helen: Is your TV broken?

Jack: No. Why?

Helen: No reason. Mind if I sit?

Jack: Of course. But there’s a very important rule you must follow.

Helen: What’s that?

Jack: No talking.

Helen: Why not?

Jack: Shh. No talking.

Helen: Right. Ay ay, captain.

Jack: Do you see that?

Helen: I thought you said no talking.

Jack: I changed my mind. See it?

Helen: What?

Jack: Right there. It looks like a . . . a lion holding an ice cream cone.

Helen: Have you been smoking something?

Jack: No, seriously, look at it. It totally looks like a lion. Or maybe a flying couch.

Helen: Oh, sure. Yeah, I see that.

Jack: What about over there? Do you see that one?

Helen: Uh, yeah. It’s a really cool . . . cloud?

Jack: It’s not JUST a cloud.

Helen: You’re right. It’s billions of water particles holding hands.

Jack: Ah, Helen. So young, so cynical.

Helen: I do what I can.

Jack: Very nice. Are you sure you’re looking?

Helen: I’m staring at the same sky you are.

Jack: I guess so.

Helen: What’s that supposed to mean?

Jack: Well, you’re just seeing clouds up there.

Helen: Jack? They ARE just clouds.

Jack: No, no, no. They’re not just clouds.

Helen: Well, if they’re not clouds then what the hell are they?

Jack: Whatever you want them to be.

Helen: Fine. I see a cloud.

Jack: No. See that one over there? It looks like a fish wearing a top hat.

Helen: I don’t see it.

Jack: There. Right over by the—

Helen: I said I don’t see it.

Jack: Oh. Ok.

Helen: I’m sorry.

Jack: You don’t have to apologize.

Helen: Well, what do you want me to say?

Jack: Nothing. It’s just . . .

Helen: What?

Jack: You used to see them. You know. The clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment