Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day

I still don't have power but it's OK [cue hysterical laughter] because who needs power? Not me. I don't need power at all. I'll just read by candlelight for the rest of my life UNTIL I GO BLIND IN FIVE DAYS BECAUSE DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO READ BY CANDLELIGHT? IT'S HARD THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

Ahem. At least people I know have power. If I couldn't get out of our dark apartment, I'd have jumped off the balcony by now, which wouldn't have even killed me. I'd have just broken my leg or something and sat there in the dark crying about my stupid, broken leg. Wah wah waaaaaaaaah.

Last night, we went over to my parents' powerless house because they had a lot of meat they wanted to get rid of on account of it would soon be rancid. My dad grilled steak, chicken, hot dogs, cheesy brauts, and hamburgers while my uncle made this potato-cheese-casserole stuff on a camping stove. At one point, I walked by my dad, who hadn't eaten yet because he'd been grilling 96 pounds of meat, and he was all, "I'm having fun!" and my uncle (who also hadn't eaten) added, "We'll all look back on this someday and laugh." But as I stood there, listening to all the conversation and giggling (mostly due to one cousin in particular, who shall remain nameless), it was nice to know we wouldn't have to wait until someday to start laughing.

6 comments:

  1. I like it when you're maniacal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading by candlelight is SO hard. All the flickering is hurty.

    Many meats + cheesy potato casserole = a pretty good way to spend a blackout, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. h!a! well, get ready. The longer the power is out, the more maniacal I'm going to get.

    megan, HEE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hate rancid meat (that's what she said).

    i feel you on the no power having. sigh. i've just been sleeping for 12 hours every night, since i have nothing else to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I got my power back mid-afternoon on Monday, but I know people down here who still don't have power, either. Fortunately there are/were still pockets of power here and there, so we could have adventures like Driving To Cincinnati To See If They Have Anything To Eat or Threatening People In Powered Areas That We Would Descend Upon Their Houses Like Locusts.

    Also, if you're going to break your leg, hopefully the hospitals have power and hot food and stuff.

    ReplyDelete