Monday, February 13, 2006

war is hell

Today I am sore and covered in bruises, but not for the normal reasons (drinking), oh no, it is from cleaning my entire apartment. Yesterday I declared war on every germ, piece of dust, and ball of cat hair that has taken up residence in my once sparkling home. Not because I particularly wanted to clean my apartment, but I am having guests next weekend and to be honest, I would have been embarrassed for them to see it the way it looked yesterday morning.

It took all day, of course. The hardest part was actually working up the motivation when all I really wanted to do was sit on the sofa, read my book, and drink coffee all day. And, yes, if I'm being completely honest, watch the finale of Arrested Development a couple more times. I'm not ashamed.

But instead, I unearthed all of my cleaning supplies. Is it bad when you have to dust them off? I'm guessing it's not a good sign. It's not just that my apartment was merely dirty . . . there was all this CLUTTER everywhere. I tend to keep everything and when I run out of places to put it, I just kind of stack it everywhere. A stack of papers here, a stack of clothes there, a box of stuff I've been meaning to sell on eBay for months now . . . most of it got thrown away.

Throughout the process of cleaning and decluttering, I injured myself in several ways. I stubbed my toes on every table, chair, and cabinet in my apartment. I dropped the vacuum on my foot. I smashed my knee into the wall. I hit my head on the TV. That still hurts. I thought about having it out with my TV afterward, but I really couldn't afford to be fighting with it because it was Grey's Anatomy night and I wanted to see if Meredith would blow up. Does it make me a bad person that I kind of wanted her to? But then she would have taken Burke with her and that is not cool. Also, George might have gotten hurt and that is MOST DEFINITELY not cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment