Friday, May 27, 2005

just more proof of my dorkitude

Last night I had a dream that I went back to high school for some reason. It wasn't really a reunion, it was like a class we all had to take to keep our diploma. I don't know, just go with it.

When I got to the class, who did I see but one Sean Hagerty*. I haven't thought about him in YEARS, I tell you, YEARS, but I had the biggest crush on him when we were seniors. I never told him, of course, because I am a chickenshit. I didn't tell anyone, really, until I told one friend (Stephanie? Remember I Like Flan?) and then another and finally I think everyone BUT him knew because if there's ANYTHING I am other than a chickenshit, it is a loudmouth.

Sean was in my creative writing class, aka The Best Class I Ever Took at Fairmont (not because Sean was in it, but because that class just plain rocked). He played the violin and seemed to me to be the typical sensitive writer/musician, completely fulfilling all my romantic delusions, like shame on me for being so stereotypical and also a tool.

I have no idea what happened to Sean. I know he was going to Bowling Green after high school, but that was almost five years ago. A lot can happen in five years. He could be married. He could have kids. Hell, he could be GAY.

I wonder what happened to all those people from high school. I haven't kept in touch with many of them and the ones I have kept in touch with, well, let's just say I'm not very good with the letter/e-mail writing and follow-up calls. Every now and then I'll hear some news that someone I didn't really care for has gotten married, or I'll see someone on the street that I think I recognize, but all the drinking in college has made the high school faces hazy so I never say anything.

So, if Sean, or anyone from high school ever gets here by googling "Fairmont" or, more likely, googling themselves (come on, we've all done it) I'd just like to say, "Hey. How've you been? I guess I'll see you in five years at the reunion**. Please be fat and bald by then."

*I wasn't going to use his real name, because I am STILL a chickenshit and cannot admit when I like someone, but this crush is five years old so I think I'm OK.

**assuming I go to my 10 year reunion which, let's face it, is not bloody likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment