Saturday, January 22, 2005

bouts of OCD

I was just sitting here, innocently checking my e-mail and, for some reason, reading conservative blogs and making myself angrier and angrier, when I noticed that the stack of crap on my desk was messier than usual. So, in an effort to make my desk more aesthetically pleasing*, I went through the stack of crap and made several neat, little piles, making sure to line everything up nicely. Then I noticed that my dresser had become overrun with bras, lone socks, and about fifteen bottles of lotion. I cleaned THAT up and realized that I needed somewhere to put the lotion. Somewhere besides the trashcan. This led to me cleaning and organizing most of my storage space and, yes, throwing quite a bit of stuff away. Eventually, I ran across the suitcase I had taken to Chicago and found the bra I'd been looking for FOR WEEKS inside one of the hidden pockets.

I also had a pile of clean laundry that was just hanging out on the bookcase so I put that away. When I went to hang some things in the closet, I noticed that some sort of bomb had gone off inside. There were shoes everywhere, clothes hanging halfway off of hangers, an old desklamp, and a bottle of vodka tucked away in a bookbag. No, I am not a closet alcoholic (haha), I had just forgotten to fully unpack from a couple of weeks ago when I went to the Sex and the City Marathon party.

Sometimes I just cannot concentrate unless I stop what I'm doing IMMEDIATELY and clean my room. This wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't so messy the rest of the time. It's not that I'm a total slob. It's not like I leave half-eaten sandwiches or piles of dirty tissues all over the floor. It's just that sometimes my ADD outweighs my OCD. I start putting away laundry and then notice a couple overdue library books which makes me think that I'd better sign online and renew them and then when I'm online I figure I might as well check my e-mail, so I leave the library books on the floor next to my desk, check my e-mail, update my blog, and completely forget about the laundry until a week later when I'm again sitting at my computer and my OCD takes over and I JUST HAVE TO CLEAN.

So you see, it all comes full circle and everything eventually gets done, but in the most half-assed, incoherent way possible.

* "aesthetically pleasing" JUST MIGHT BE my favorite phrase in the English language

No comments:

Post a Comment