Friday, January 20, 2006

I love those cupcakes like McAdams loves Gosling

Lately, I've developed the bad habit of staying up late for absolutely no reason, even when I know I have to be up early the next morning. My logic? I'm going to be tired when I wake up no matter what time I go to bed, so I might as well enjoy myself rather than lie in bed awake thinking about how much sleep I can get if I fall asleep RIGHT NOW.

So instead, I read. And read and read. Which isn't a big change. It's been my nighttime ritual ever since I could remember. I read before bed. It's not even a question, there are books on my nightstand as I type. The Lovely Bones (finished), Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife (finished once, now halfway through a reread), and The Poisonwood Bible (finished last night at 1:30 AM). Books clutter my apartment. They seem to multiply when I am not there. I've even started selling some of the ones I don't read anymore. You know, those stuck-up books (James Joyce, I'm looking at you) from college that I keep saying I'll eventually pick up again so I don't keep reading Me Talk Pretty One Day over and over. I think I've realized that I am never going to make myself read Moby Dick again, no matter how starved for reading material I am.

Right now, I'm looking forward to reading The Kite Runner, which I checked out from the library once I paid my fine ($10.50, ouch). Does anyone else read a couple books at a time? I mean, I'm kind of still in the middle of reading Emma, Pride and Prejudice, and Lucky, all of which I have read before. If I'm reading something depressing, I like to have something lighthearted on the nightstand to lift me out of any crying jags I may have. Also, I like to read during commercials but you need an uncomplicated book for that.

I also read as I walk around the apartment. I read while brushing my teeth, eating, vacuuming. Which might explain all of the bruises on my body. It's hard not to run into walls and such when your head is buried in a book.

Who am I kidding? I run into walls anyway, with or without a book in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment