Thursday, February 05, 2004

So I was sitting at a traffic light today, waiting impatiently for the light to change, when the driver of the car in front of me opens her door and runs over to my car. Normally, I would be a little suspicious, lock my doors and stare straight ahead (not that this sort of thing happens normally, even in Springfield), but I recognized this girl from some of my classes. Anyway, she was braving the freezing rain and wind to tell me that my gas tank lid was open. Nice, right?

Well, yeah, but the thing is? I know my gas tank lid is open. What's that you say? My gas tank? The lid? It's open? Yeah. I KNOW.

I know people are just trying to be considerate, which is actually really nice since most strangers act like complete assholes to each other, but my gas tank lid is always open. It will close for a period of about two days, but then it's time to get more gas. See, I have to pull a lever inside the car to get the lid to open, and when I pull this lever it doesn't go back down for about a week. Or two. When it finally does go down, I can close the gas tank lid. Unfortunately, this usually happens when I have less than a quarter of a tank of gas so the unholy process soon begins again.

Once I was in a drive thru, waiting for my turn, when someone pounded on the window. I grabbed my pepper spray, but it was just the kid from the car behind me, telling me that my gas tank lid was open. Thanks kid. Get back in your damn car.

So, thank you for informing me that the lid is open. You're very kind. The fact that you would take time out of your busy schedule to tell me is a testimonial to the spectacular person you are. But I KNOW it's open. And there are only so many times I can say, "Thanks, but it won't close," without wanting to whip out a machete and do some serious damage to you and your car.

No comments:

Post a Comment