Wednesday, May 02, 2007

find a penny, pick it up

I try not to be superstitious. Not to read too much into the little things. Ignore anything resembling a "sign." But there are times I allow myself to be weak, silly. I wish on the clock when it says 11:11, on eyelashes, on birthday candles, on stars, falling or not. I always look for four-leaf clovers. If I spill salt, I throw some over my shoulder. The last time I opened an umbrella inside, it was in a bar and I was too drunk to worry about bad luck. I avoid cracks in the sidewalk, for my mother's sake, really. I carry mirrors carefully and don't walk under ladders. I hold my breath when driving past a cemetery. If my ears are burning or my nose itches, I wonder who is talking about me. If I tie the wrapper from a straw in a knot, pull the ends, and the knot stays intact, I wonder who is thinking about me. I always knock on wood.

This morning, I noticed a penny lying right next to my car. It was heads up. I thought about leaving it there on the ground but instead picked it up and slipped it into my pocket. Why tempt fate?

No comments:

Post a Comment