Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Can you get fired for being weird?

I don't have to be at work until 2 IN THE AFTERNOON today (feel free to send hate mail) but since I can no longer sleep past ten, I've been up for a while. The problem is, I keep forgetting I have to go to work later. I don't know why. Maybe it's because this week is just dragging and it already feels like it should be Friday, which is my DAY OFF (again, hate mail is welcome). I'm about to set every alarm clock in this place for different times, just so I have some kind of reminder that I do, in fact, have to leave the house today. I even wrote a little note to myself that is sitting right in front of the computer. It says "LEAVE FOR WORK AT 1:30 EXCLAMATION POINT TIMES THREE." How sad would it be if I had to call my boss at 4 and tell him I'm running late because I FORGOT I had to come in.

It's not that I'm dreading going in or anything. I'm not at all. I really like it there so far. Everyone I work with is really nice and down to earth, and they laugh at my jokes. EVEN the really sarcastic ones that make me sound kind of bitchy, which is good because I make those a lot. I've managed to not make any inappropriate comments, except for that time last Thursday that I didn't even mean to be inappropriate but people thought I did and I wanted to tell them that, really, I'm not that clever. Anyway, no one was offended so it was fine.

And, so far, I've managed to quell any impulses to make jokes to the patients that may scare them, which is good because most of them are young children. I cannot tell you how many times I've wanted to say something like, "These are the instruments we're going to use but THESE are the ones we'll be torturing you with if you don't do what we say," like WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? I don't know why I think thoughts like this, but at least I've managed not to say any of them out loud.

Yet. If I do, you all will be the first to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment