Tuesday, May 09, 2006

If coincidences are just coincidences then why do they feel so contrived.

Ok, so I know that isn't a quote from The Office, but it IS a quote from a TV show and 10 points to whoever can tell me what TV show it's from without the help of Google. I mean, you can totally use Google, it's not like I'd know. It's not like I'm stalking you or STANDING RIGHT BEHIND YOU WATCH OUT.

Um. Anyway. This morning on the way to work I got caught in a traffic jam on 675, which had turned into a parking lot if, you know, parking lots consisted of cars parked in three long lines and all the cars were running and moving. So, ok, maybe not like a parking lot at all but like a highway that is moving really fucking slowly. Since my normal commute was extended by about half an hour, I had some time to listen to the radio and think. I thought, having moved farther away from where I work, that I would hate the longer drive but I actually enjoy it. It gives me time to prepare myself for the day ahead and by prepare myself, I mean take lots of deep, cleansing breaths so I don't axe murder someone by the end of the day. I've had some close calls, you know. Anyway, so I didn't really mind getting caught in traffic this morning. I got to enjoy my coffee instead of gulping it down like I normally do, burning several layers of tissue from my esophagus in the process. I got a little lost in my head and if I said I don't remember what I was thinking about I'd totally be lying so instead of lying I'll just say it's none of your goddamn business, ok? Seriously, give me a little privacy. STOP ASKING. No, I will not tell you who I was thinking about. Shit, I think I just gave something away. You caught me. I was thinking about Phoebe, my cat, my companion, the love of my life. Not really. She's kind of a bitch but then, she does take after her owner.

Wow, what was I talking about? Oh, right, traffic jam. So, the best part about being stuck in traffic, aside from giving me more time to obsess about things I should just drop already, was that I got to spend more time than usual listening to my favorite radio station. That's right, OLDIES, baby! I love the oldies radio station, although sometimes they play songs that I don't consider oldies. Like "Your Song" by Elton John? I have absolutely no idea what year that song came out but I don't think of it as an Oldies station classic . . . more of an Adult Lite Radio type of deal. I'm not bashing that song AT ALL. There is a special place in my cold, dead heart for that song and if I hear it on the radio, not only do I listen to it, I turn it up as loud as it will go, sing as loud as I will go, and have a special little moment in the car. Yes, I DID just share that and no I am NOT embarrassed.

Do you guys believe in signs? I try to tell myself I don't but I fall victim to them every now and then. This morning, in the span of about ten minutes, I heard "Hey Jude" twice. It was on the Oldies station and then, when a commercial came on, I started scanning for another song and it was on another station. I know that song is probably an Oldies station staple, but I hardly ever hear it although I do LOVE IT caps lock off. So, I started thinking it was weird that I'd heard it twice, back to back like that, but I don't have any special connection to that song or anything. Other than singing on karaoke at my friend Steph's birthday party but I wasn't even the one holding the microphone. So. Yeah. I guess it's not so much a sign as it is a weird coincidence but that's hardly as much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment