Sunday, March 25, 2007

Here's Joe Cool hanging around the student union eyeing chicks. Actually, we Joe Cools are scared to death of chicks

My mom asked: What was your favorite cartoon character when you were little?

Well, gee, Mom, I'd hope you'd remember this a little better than I would. But to the best of my knowledge, my favorite character was Snoopy. What's not to love about Snoopy? He sleeps on top of his doghouse. He's afraid of the cat next door. He flies planes, plays baseball, writes books, and is a killer ice skater and mimic. Also, his best friend is a bird. I don't know why that makes him more likeable, but it TOTALLY does so stop arguing with me.

When I was little, I had some old Peanuts books that my aunt gave me. I read them over and over. I still have them, although I haven't touched them in years. I mean, until right now when I walked over to my bookcase to confirm that, yes, I still have them and hadn't given them away or sold them in a fit of anti-packratism. That doesn't happen often but it DOES happen.

I say my favorite cartoon character was (and is) Snoopy, but if I had to pick a cartoon character I was most like, it'd have to be Lucy. She's mean and angry, but I think she means well. I know she charges for psychiatric help, but at least she's offering it, you know? And I'd like to say I feel sorry for Charlie Brown when she pulls that football away at the last minute, but really I find it pretty fucking hilarious. I mean, if some sucker is going to fall for the same joke over and over, wouldn't you keep pulling it?

Aside from Calvin & Hobbes, Peanuts is my favorite comic, not because it is particularly funny but because it's comforting. The characters stay the same. Charlie Brown is always sad, Sally is delusional, Lucy is domineering, Linus is a whiny pussy with a blanket, etc. And to this day, when an adult talks to me, sometimes the only thing I hear is, "wah wah wah wah wah."

No comments:

Post a Comment