Wednesday, March 12, 2008

it puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again

This morning on the way to work, I was all pissed off because it was cold and my car was taking forever to warm up and then, just as I pulled into the parking lot at work, I remembered that last night I had turned the blowy temperature thingie (technical term) to blow cool air because I was wearing both my heavy coat AND a sweater and I was hot and I didn't feel right opening the windows because there was snow on the ground. It all made sense yesterday, I swear. So. That's why it was cold. It reminded me of this game my friend Amy told me her brother used to play. When it was really cold outside, he'd lock all the car doors and turn on the AC and say, "let's play Antarctica!" I think he played a similar game in the summer, except he used the heat and it was called "Sahara Desert." I find this to be one of the greatest stories anyone has ever told me. I wish I had come up with it, but I didn't. I could have told you I did, but that would be lying and lying is wrong.

So I was in sort of a bad mood, on account of I was freezing and I knew it was because of my own stupidity, but after a while I decided to not be in a bad mood anymore. It worked, too, because I'm very good at bossing myself to do stuff and also I was listening to The Shins, which has the inexplicable ability to make me smile. It's weird that The Shins Effect can be so different for everyone. Because I'm pretty sure The Shins make Heidi want to punch me in the face. Heh.

I have a confession to make, Internets. You know how they show The Office reruns on TBS on Tuesdays? Well, even though I have seen every episode at least (at least!) five times and I own every season on DVD, I still watch them. And sometimes TiVo records them and I watch them again. I have a problem. But it's OK, I've learned to live with it.

7 comments:

  1. I've easily seen every episode of friends (ALL OF THEM) 10 times, but I still watch it twice a night when it gets shown on basic cable. I no longer see it as a "problem," and I have even put a positive spin on it by telling myself that I am studying to earn my doctorate in Friends. It is all research, see?

    ReplyDelete
  2. GSR, could you BE more obsessed? Ahahahahahahaha!

    Um, anyway, Friends is also a show I will watch over and over. Heidi has every season on DVD, but I still watch them on cable. A while ago we decided to watch all of them from the beginning, but I think we forgot about it after we finished season 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch the Office re-runs too. Last night the pilot was on and Pam and Jim made me so happy. It was the best night.

    Good story, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:11 PM

    Amy's brother is my new hero. That's about as amazing as my brother telling the annoying kids he babysat that their mother was NEVER coming back, only to console them with an "I'm just kidding" when they started crying. And then as soon as they calmed down he would start in again: "YOUR MOTHER'S NEVER COMING BACK".

    It must have been good to be an older sibling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was good at bossing myself around, but I'm not so much. What I AM good at though is procrastinating! I'm an elite, olympic-caliber procrastinator. I'm not quite okay with it yet, but that's only because I haven't gotten around to accepting myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pardon the influx of comments that is about to happen. I have been absent from Google Reader.

    I didn't know TBS was rerunning The Office. I am watching season 3 right now on DVD. I am at the really painful part where Pam tells Jim eight hours of sleep is better then six and to get his REM cycles. It hurts me to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather, they've been adorable since day one, yes?

    Lengli, I am an older sibling. It had its ups and downs.

    Shari, we should start a procrastinators club. You know, tomorrow.

    H!A! That is seriously one of the most awkward moments ever recorded. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete