Tuesday, November 02, 2004

down to the wire

I just voted. I walked to the polling place, right up the street, feeling ready for battle. All the nightmares about my name not being on the list were coming to a head. Because of all the Republicans trying to challenge voters in Ohio, I was ultra-paranoid and armed with my voter's card, my license, my social security card, and my Witt student ID. Too be honest, I almost wanted someone to challenge me. I kept imagining different scenarios, many ending with me kicking one of the poll workers in the balls.

When I got to the polls, however, there were no people passing out pamphlets, no protestors, and no challengers. Instead, a grandmotherly type pointed me to my precinct (there was no line), I signed next to my name, and took my ballot.

I placed my ballot in the slot, opened the book, and started stabbing through the ballot with extreme glee. There'd be no hanging chads on my watch. After all the news stories about lawsuits around here, I'm in no mood for Ohio to become the next Florida.

As I handed in my ballot, I breathed a sigh of relief. All I can do now is hope for the best. I'll be glued to CNN, nervous and excited, until all the results are in.

I've done all I can.

And I even got a sticker.

No comments:

Post a Comment