Sunday, November 07, 2004

monkey brains

The park was definitely the happening place to be this afternoon. (By the way, I cannot believe I just used the phrase "happening place") Ripley didn't know what to do with herself. The park was flooded with parents and strollers, Frisbee golfers, ducks and geese, and, best of all, monkey brains.

Yes, monkey brains. Does anyone have any idea what these are? I have no idea what they're really called, but I'm willing to bet it's not "monkey brains." It's some kind of lime green gourd/fruit, with a rippled texture that resembles, you guessed it, a brain. I don't know why they're called monkey brains and not like, giraffe brains or hippo brains. Dog brains would be more appropriate, since I've seen lots of dogs in this neighborhood, but never a monkey.

I just tried a search for "monkey brains Ohio" on Google, but all it turned up were science articles on the effects of whatever on a monkey's brain and, even more disturbing, recipes.

Does anyone have any idea what these things really are? They almost look like a fruit. They can range in size, I'd say anywhere between a baseball and a really large grapefruit. They grow on some kind of tree (I don't know what it's called) and I only see them this time of year. They're pretty heavy, too. I know this because when I tried to kick a large one into the pond, I hurt my toe.

I don't know why I'm all the sudden so interested in what these things are. I've seen them every fall. We used to throw them at each other in elementary school. And, if I recall correctly, once we tried to play a game of soccer with one.

In case you're interested, that doesn't really work.

No comments:

Post a Comment