Monday, July 05, 2004

boom bazooka joe

I hope everyone had a nice 4th of July weekend. I had a great one. On Friday, I went to Columbus for Red, White, and Boom, which was interesting. The fireworks show was really good, amazing really, but I don't know if I'd do it every year. When I get around big crowds like that it just makes me realize how much I really don't like people.

We had to ride a bus downtown, but we had to stand in the aisle. I have balance issues anyway, and riding a bus on the highway just made them worse. What made it even more interesting was that Katie and I were too short to really reach the bar you're supposed to hang onto, so instead we had to hang onto these strap things that didn't really provide much support. So, basically, we were hanging on these straps with our feet on the floor but the rest of our bodies were flying around and bumping into people. Not to say that our bodies, like, detached from our hands and feet and ran amuck. Even if they had, they wouldn't have been running, really, since they'd detached from the feet. Never mind.

When we got downtown and put our blanket down we had to wait about an hour and a half for it to get dark enough for the fireworks to start. All I'll say about that is that my strongest memory of that time is the smell. Body odor and french fries. And a little bit of pot, thanks to the guy standing behind us wearing a shirt that said "Security."

Yesterday we celebrated in Kettering. We went to my aunt and uncle's for a cookout. There were so many kids there, and I think they'd been injected with a lot of sugar, or caffeine, or crack, because they were nuts. At one point they were playing Capture the Flag, but I think they were confused because they weren't playing it right at all. They split into two teams and each team had a flag, but those are about the only rules they had. It was Extreme Capture the Flag. People were injured.

I think the best part of the night was watching the fireworks, because the kids were so excited. And when the real fireworks were over, the neighbors across the street set off some of their own. Fireworks in Ohio are illegal, but the fireworks these people were setting off were ILLEGAL. They were huge. But I guess if you're gonna break the law, you might as well go all the way.

You know what I was just thinking? They made a movie about dodgeball, maybe Capture the Flag is next.

If a movie about Capture the Flag comes out in the next year, let me know and I'll sue.

No comments:

Post a Comment