Wednesday, July 14, 2004

where's waldo? who gives a shit?

What was up with Blogger being down last night when I wanted to post? It was very rude.

Yesterday was a landmark day in the kitchen. I successfully baked a loaf of banana bread. It smells amazing, but I haven't eaten any of it yet. Honestly, I'm happy enough that it turned out right, I don't care if I eat any of it.

Last night I watched I Love the 90s (of course) and I have to say, I think 1993 was the best episode yet. Maybe it's just because as the series progresses, I remember more, because I was only eight in 1990 and I don't think I was paying much attention to pop culture at the time. Aside from slap bracelets.

I think the reason I liked 93 the best is because there were SO many things from that year that I liked. Jurassic Park? Loved it. The Fugitive? Still love it. Crystal Pepsi? I don't remember if I loved it, but I do remember drinking a lot of it with my friend at her house one day.

I also loved how they'd put little Waldos in the clips they were showing. But I always thought Where's Waldo came out before 93. We found one of my old Where's Waldo books and the copyright year was 1987, so I think I Love the 90s was fudging a little bit. When I worked at the library, the Where's Waldo books were the most popular books on the Children's Lit side of the library. I mean, kids would get violent over these books. I always thought it was funny that they were the most popular, because, you know, there are no actual WORDS in those books.

By far my favorite part of 93 was the bit about The X-Files. I was only 11 when that show started, but I was obsessed with it. Ob. Sessed. Once again proving what a giant nerd I am. Thank you, Vh1.

But come on, even without all that stuff, 1993 was the year of the Tap-dancing Bee Girl. It doesn't get much better than that.

5 comments:

  1. On the welcome page to blogger they said they were going to be down a few hours last night for maintenance related issues, FYI.

    I think by the end of this week I am going to be all 90'sed out. I'm sure they do fudge a bit on years though. I mean even with Best Week Ever it's all supposed to be from the week but you can tell that they have some things stocked up, just in case Britney doesn't do anything crazy in that seven day period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a whole theory that Bee Girl (that perhaps I have documented a tad too much on my page) goes to my school. Because, you know, what did ever become of Bee Girl? Did she grow up well-adjusted or is she like a grumpy goth chick or something? I miss Bee Girl. Bee Girl, come back to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked up "tap dancing bee girl blind melon" on Yahoo, and it led me to her IMDB page. Her name's Heather DeLoach and the last thing she was in was Anywhere but Here, playing "Ellen."

    You know that Pepsi commercial where the girl is dressed as a hot dog, passing out fliers, and everyone laughs at her until she meets the boy dressed up as a Pepsi and then they walk into the sunset holding hands?

    I thought it would have been great if that girl had been the Bee Girl. But she wasn't. Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as Hot Dog Girl is synonomous with Bee Girl in your heart, you can dream whatever you want. Dare to Dream. The More You Know. And scads (is that a word? it should be) of other public service announcements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was some "where are they now?" special a few years ago and they showed the bee girl all grown up. I want to say she looked like the genius kid from Head of the Class, but I might just be confusing two people I'll probably never see again. Ever.

    ReplyDelete