Friday, July 09, 2004

don't trust grandma

I think something is wrong with my computer monitor. It looks like there are waves beneath the images on the screen. Right now, it looks like my words are kind of stretching and contracting. It's very minimal, but still, I think if I stare at it long enough I'm either going to slip into a trance or throw up.

Yesterday I was watching this urban legend show that was on TLC or Discovery or something. I only really remember one of the myths they debunked, but it was a good one. Actually, I don't remember if it was true or not, but it doesn't matter.

In the example they used, a little old lady started following a young woman around a grocery store. Finally, the young woman, who I'm going to call Bebe, asks the little old lady, who I will call Wanda, if there's something she can help her with. Wanda proceeds to tell Bebe that Bebe looks just like her granddaughter, who, sadly, had died two weeks before. Obviously, Bebe feels oh-so-sorry for Wanda and the two have a long conversation. At some point Wanda tells Bebe to call her "Granny." Since Bebe is weird and a moron, she agrees.

The two go through the check out, and Wanda goes first. Wanda loads up her cart and leaves, yelling "Bye, Bebe!" and Bebe yells, "Bye Granny!"

Then the cashier rings up Bebe's groceries and tell her the total comes to something like three hundred dollars. Bebe, realizing that she is being charged for Wanda's groceries, runs out of the store, but even though Wanda is a little old lady, she's already booked it out of the parking lot.

Apparently, before picking Bebe as her mark, Wanda told the cashier that she was meeting her granddaughter and that her granddaughter would be paying.

It's a pretty awesome scam, because people trust little old ladies. Well, people who didn't watch that urban legend show, anyway.

I'm glad I saw it. If any little old ladies ever approach me in the grocery store, I'm going to knock them over and run away.

1 comment:

  1. 2 things:
    1. If I were her, I would have just refused to pay for her portion of the groceries. It's not like they could MAKE her.
    2. That story reminded me of the little old Schumacher's in Dirty Dancing.

    ReplyDelete