Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Dawn of the -- ok i'm really freaked out and never sleeping again THANKS A LOT -- Dead

Tonight in class we talked about wounds. Don't worry, I'm going somewhere with this. When we got to human bites, I really wanted to raise my hand and bring up the topic of zombies, but I didn't. I wanted to bring it up again when we talked about rabies, because it sounds like animals with rabies act similarly to zombies.

I have this unnatural fear of zombies. I say unnatural because zombies aren't real. At least, not to my knowledge. But just the thought of them really scares the crap out of me. It doesn't help that a bunch of zombie movies have come out recently. Ok, two that I actually saw, but it's not like there are THAT many zombie movies, so two coming out in the span of a year (two years?) can be classified as "a bunch." By my standards, anyway.

I watched 28 Days Later in the dark with a bunch of my friends. Friends good, dark bad. I don't normally get scared during scary movies, but that one freaked me out.

And then there's Dawn of the Dead. The new one. Which I went to see in the theater. Why? I can't remember. It wasn't as good of a movie as 28 Days Later, but it scared me about ten times more. I still have nightmares about zombies.

I wonder what it is about zombies that's so frightening. Maybe it's the fact that the zombies start out as neighbors and then start running around eating people. Maybe it's because they look, well, dead. Maybe it's the way they run, sort of herky-jerky and with odd arm movements. Plus they kind of make unpleasant noises and drool. And with what they've been eating, I don't think you want to get that drool on your clothes.

Maybe it's because in Dawn of the Dead it all starts (for the audience, anyway) when a freaky, dead, zombie girl breaks into a house and EATS THE MAIN CHARACTER'S FIANCE'S NECK. And then the fiance tries to eat the main character.

Yeah, I don't know why that would freak me out.

I hope I don't have nightmares about zombies tonight.

In case anyone is ever attacked by zombies, this site may be helpful.

UPDATE: there are a frightening number of websites about zombies out there

No comments:

Post a Comment