Thursday, August 05, 2004

goddamn John Mayer, man, whoaaaaaa

I think it's going to take a month to flush out all of the caffeine I consumed yesterday. I don't care, though. It was totally worth it.

On Tuesday I left Kettering behind to make the journey to Cleveland. A journey I have made only three times before. Luckily, I had very detailed directions; directions even I could follow. Directions complete with helpful bits like "you'll get to the jacked up traffic light, then turn right" (thanks, Amy). The traffic light truly was "jacked up."

There was a short stop in Springfield, because it's not a good idea to drink a bunch of Coke right before you leave on a road trip. Go figure. There was another short stop in Worthington, to pick up Kate and, once again, pee. At that point I decided not to drink anything else until we got out of the car in Cleveland.

The concert was at this venue out in BFE, but it was a really nice place. We got buttons on the way in because we all signed this sheet saying we were going to vote.

When we got inside we went to the bathroom (important) and got a beer (more important) and then found our seats (most important). They were right in the center of the pavilion. Nice. DJ Logic was the opener for Maroon 5, but they might as well have just pumped in a radio station. I'm sure he would be good for like, a club, but I was hoping for a good band or something. Oh well. Maroon 5 played for about 45 minutes, but I missed one of their songs because I had to go to the bathroom again (thanks, beer). I think I have a bladder the size of a pea.

I really enjoyed Maroon 5. They were great live. But, you know, as much as I like them I was really there to see John Mayer. And what can I say? He was awesome. He played for about two hours. Here's the set list, if anyone cares:

Why Georgia, Bigger than my Body, New Deep, My Stupid Mouth, Only Heart, Not Myself, Wait Until Tomorrow, Voodoo Child (Jimi Hendrix), Come Back to Bed, Your Body is a Wonderland, No Such Thing, Inner City Blues (Marvin Gaye), Clarity. Encore: 3 x 5 (solo), Comfortable (solo), Every Rose Has Its Thorn (random solo), and 83 (with like 4 million people on the stage). He also sang a bit of Steal My Kisses, and during Your Body in the Wonderland John Mayer one of his guitar players got the guys in the crowd to sing Marley's "I don't want to wait in vain for your love" and the girls to sing "could you be loved." It was awesome.

There were also two women on the side stage doing sign language during his set, which I thought was really neat. I've never seen that at a concert before.

There was this family in front of us; a mom and dad, two teenage girls, a teenage boy, and a boy who looked like he was about 8. I don't even know why they were there, unless it was to socialize, because they spent more time wandering and looking around and talking to friends they'd run into. The dad and little boy left halfway through Maroon 5's set, and then came back about two songs into John Mayer's. With ice cream. All the kids looked pretty bored; it didn't look like they knew any of the songs. The little boy was OK when he'd just sit in his seat, but he kept wanting to stand up ON the seat. Right in front of me. Then he'd hop from seat to seat and almost fall. I must be a bad person because I was disappointed every time he didn't fall on his face. I don't know why they brought him. A babysitter would have been cheaper. Or the dad could have stayed home with him, because he looked really bored. Except during the Hendrix song, then he stood up and bobbed his head.

After the concert, as we were walking out to the parking lot, we were behind these two older guys who were very drunk. I don't think they knew each other, but they were having a conversation pretty much like this:

Guy 1: Maaaaaaaan.
Guy 2: I know, man.
Guy 1: That dude can play some guitar, you know?
Guy 2: I know, man, he has to be able to to play some goddamn Hendrix.
Guy 1: And goddamn Marvin Gaye!
Guy 2: Shiiiiiiiiit.

Those weren't the exact words, of course, but you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment