Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Jim has worked at the same place for five years. Jim eats the same ham and cheese sandwich every day for lunch.

Whenever my roommate and I go to the grocery, we stop by the yogurt section to stock up. Because, you see, Kroger always has the kind we like on sale . . . 12 for $6. Or something. I don't remember exactly. So, Heidi picks out six flavors and I pick out six flavors. And each and every time, I have to talk myself out of getting six Blackberry.

I find it easy to get stuck in a routine and I get very cranky if this routine is disrupted in any way. I have to talk myself into new things. Even things I love now, such as yogurt, coffee, voting, I have had to force myself into in the past. This routine ranges from wearing the same thing every day (not my fault, but I do enjoy the whole non-decision making thing early in the morning) to the things I eat. In the morning, I like my yogurt and coffee and to not talk to anyone. For lunch, a turkey sandwich, some pretzels and a Diet Coke. For dinner? Whatever is both within reach (I'm short) in the cabinet and microwavable.

I try to break myself of the routine, but it's so easy to backslide. Which means try harder, I suppose, even if I just trade in my turkey sandwich for peanut butter and jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment