Monday, February 04, 2008

I wanna quit the gym!

And so I'm going to. It was a fun experiment. Well, not fun, really, but interesting. OK, not even really interesting. Heidi and I joined the gym last year because we got a really good deal, but I was in better shape when we were training for the Turkey Trot and just going running a couple times a week (outside in the fresh air, not in the gym that sometimes smells like stinky feet and BO and bean farts) than I was when I was going the gym almost every day. Also, the Cardio Cinema seemed like such an amazing concept when we first joined, but most of the time they're showing a movie I hate. Or a movie that makes me want to kill myself. Or a Dane Cook movie, which I hate AND makes me want to kill myself. I realize that part of this is my own fault, because I tend to not like a lot of movies but WHY do they insist on showing Rush Hour 3? Why? And it pisses me off that sometimes they'll play the same movie a few days in a row. This is sort of OK if it's a good movie (see: Tommy Boy) but I find it unnecessary and annoying when it's a shitty movie (see: A Cinderella Story.)

I like the classes they offer, but I don't like GOING to classes. I don't like scheduling workout time. I like to work out when I feel like it (or when I finally guilt myself into doing it) but for some reason the gym refuses to employ a class method where I can just call ahead and tell them to get a class ready because I'm going to be there in five minutes. I don't know why they won't do this for me. They are so unreasonable and I guess they don't understand that I don't like being on a schedule. It's bad enough that I'm told when to be at work and when I can leave blah blah blah YOU GET ONE HOUR FOR LUNCH, so I don't want the gym telling me my business, too.

ALSO (and this is the big one, which is why it's all caps locky), half of the machines in that place are pieces of shit. I don't want to ride on an elliptical that shakes around and makes horrible noises on every rotation because I'm afraid it's going to fall apart and I'll either die or it'll be really embarrassing. I'm not sure which is worse.

___

Today on The Collective, Heather totally cheats on her freebie list.

7 comments:

  1. For real. I've decided to spend less of my time being places I don't want to be (unfortunately, work is exempt from this).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Cinderella Story has made me realize just how much of a masochist I am - it's truly awful, and yet I can NEVER turn it off when it's on TV.

    Though being glued to that sorry excuse for a movie might be a way incentive to keep me on the elliptical machine at the gym...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. rage. love it. (mark from ugly betty voice.)

    i have a soft spot for a cinderella story. so sue me.

    (also, i'm joining the gym. turns out those classes are the only way to make me un-lazy.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lengli, you should try it. I mean, it sounds like my version of hell, but it might work for you.

    Abigail, Mark from Ugly Betty might be my favorite fictional person on TV right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am a firm believer in quitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quit the gym!! And don't let Ross get distracted by the big-haired Barbie in the JaneFonda leotard when you go in to quit, either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you want to be able to call me up to teach spinning whenever you are ready? no. you are a crazy byatch! 6pm mondays - end of story.

    ReplyDelete