Sunday, April 06, 2008

Two posts in one day? Clearly I'm going for quantity, not quality.

We got home from Cox Arboretum a little while ago, and my shoes, they are covered in mud. Because, even though EVERY SPRING I come home muddy when I take my first trip out there, I never seen to remember. I don't learn very well from my mistakes, I guess. See? That was back during that time I was asking myself what Elizabeth Bennet would do whenever I had to make a decision. Remember? It's OK if you don't, it was like two years ago. Um. Anyway. Good talk, guys.

Sidenote: You know what pisses me off? I can never remember if Bennet has one or two Ts. Bleh.

So, there's this dog that lives at the arboretum. His name is Zip (or Zipp, depending on what sign you're looking at) and according to all the signs, he's there to chase away the geese. But don't worry, the sign also points out that he doesn't harm them. It was a very helpful sign. Now, I cannot tell you how many times I've been out there and I've never, ever seen this dog. Until today. He was everywhere. Heidi and I were standing by the pond, staring at the turtles, when suddenly he came running straight at us. Once he got in front of us, he saw some turtles at the edge of the water and just stood there staring at them. I think maybe they were having a conversation that went something like this:

Zip(p): Hey, turtles!
Turtle 1: Excuse me, dog, but our names are Clarence and Mildred.
Mildred: Clarence! Put your head in your shell like I'm doing! Then he can't see you.
Clarence: Mildred, how many times do I have to tell you that just because you can't see them, that doesn't mean they can't see you.
Mildred: What? I can't hear very well inside here.
Clarence: Sigh. So, dog--
Zip(p): My name's Zip(p)!
Clarence: Right. Zip(p). Can I help you with something?
Zip(p): Wanna be friends?
Clarence: No.
Zip(p): Let's be friends!
Clarence: No.
Zip(p): I'm just gonna lie down right here until we're friends.
Clarence: I'm getting in the water now.
Zip(p): OK, talk to you later, friend!

That's exactly how it happened. Ask Heidi, she was there.

9 comments:

  1. Oh man, I wanna go to the arboretum with you guys (gals?). I love it when I can overhear the animals conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That conversation is remarkably similar to the one you and I had about you becoming my secret internet girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, you can hear them if you're really, really quiet.

    GSR, I do believe I'm still waiting for my superhero cape that will enable me to fly. (I think this was one of the agreed upon perks of secret internet girlfriend status)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie, when I was a kid, we had a Texas tortoise named "Charlie". Charlie use to cruise through the house and park under the radiators. When he was hungry, he' cruise to the kitchen and stand (do turtles stand?) in front of the refrigerator until someone opened it and fed him some lettuce and peaches.

    And, Charlie talked too. But Charlie wasn't good with a parachute, something about having long enough fingers to pull the cord.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be friends with Zip(p).

    ReplyDelete
  6. (psst... i remember.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sally, Charlie sounds like pretty much the best turtle ever. I've been contemplating getting a turtle ever since we saw the pond turtles earlier.

    h!a! me too! The bad part is, you're not supposed to feed him or pet him or anything and it makes my heart sad.

    kat!, I think GSR is hoping I forget about my cape, but no way is that happening. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch, Stephanie. Ouch.

    Hee.

    ReplyDelete