Wednesday, October 06, 2004

dead-end relationship

My computer and I are not on good terms right now. We had a bad night, full of yelling and cursing and threats. Ok, so most of that was on my end, but my computer wasn't making things easy.

Things had been going well. Really well. Too well, apparently. I should have seen the warning signs. Getting kicked off the internet for no reason. Refusal to reboot. But I just thought those were normal, run-of-the-mill problems that anyone in a relationship with a computer might have.

Really, it was going great! I was so happy.

Then, last night, out of nowhere, my computer started acting crazier than Britney Spears. It kept kicking me offline and then immediately reconnecting me. There were crazy popups. Programs running that I've never seen before.

So I did what anyone would do. I restarted the computer.

Bad idea. I only angered it. When the computer turned back on, everything was bigger. The icons, the cursor, the error messages, everything looked swollen.

I thought it would be an easy fix. I'll just resize everything, no problem. But every time I tried, the screen would go black, an error message would pop up, and the screen would freeze.

Not only that, but the colors were all funky. It was on the wrong setting, but wouldn't let me fix it. Everything else was working fine, but the computer was impossible to use because the contrasting colors were giving me a headache, and I couldn't read anything without scrolling from side to side because everything was so big.

I removed a bunch of programs from the computer; programs I've never seen before and certainly didn't install. Some are still there, though, because when I tried to uninstall them there were all these errors and screen-freezes and more yelling and crying so I gave up.

I defraged (heh, that word is funny) the computer last night and this morning it let me fix the color. It also let me shrink everything back to normal size, but it's still a little wonky. I don't exactly know what to do about that, but since the computer is no longer throwing errors at me I don't really care.

I don't know how much longer this relationship is going to last. That was a pretty big fight last night, and there were some things said that neither of us can just forget.

I think the end is near.

No comments:

Post a Comment