Saturday, October 30, 2004

happy (almost) Halloween!

It's Halloween, or Halloween Eve if you want to be specific, but it doesn't really feel like it. Right now, I'm trying to remember what I did last year for Halloween, and if I dressed up, but for the life of me I can't think of what I did. I know what I did the year before that. I went to Connor's Prairie to participate in an underground railroad reenactment, got back to campus around 11, changed into my Adam Sandler costume (complete with tiny guitar) and went to a Halloween/frat party. And a week after that, we had a Pop Stars party with a different frat, and I went as Kelly Clarkson.

It's really bothering me that I can't remember what I did last year. Maybe I did nothing. Weird.

Anyway, this year we didn't even get a pumpkin to carve. I thought about getting one and carving it today, but I know it'll just end up smashed in the middle of the street tomorrow, so why bother? Our house isn't decorated at all. We're going to pass out candy, of course, but we're not going to be one of the fun houses that scares the crap out of little kids. Maybe I should dress up as a scarecrow or something and sit on the porch, holding the bucket of candy, and when kids come up to take some I'll jump up and they'll run away screaming.

That always scared me.

I love how Halloween gives everyone free license to warp the minds of little children. You can't do that on Christmas.

Well, you can, but it's frowned upon.

One Christmas we convinced my cousin Josh that this table kept shrinking. I think he was 5 or 6. We had a really long table set up to eat on, and after dinner he went to another room, so we folded that table up and put up a smaller, card table. When he came back, we told him Casper had shrunk the table.

Josh left the room again, we folded up the card table and put a TV tray in its place. When he came back in the room, he totally bought that the table had shrunk again. The next time he left the room, we folded up the TV tray and didn't put anything else up. We told Josh that the table had shrunk so much that you couldn't even see it anymore.

The best part is, during some of this I'd casually knock on the wall without Josh seeing me, and tell him Casper was outside.

My family is so warped. Too bad most of the kids in our family are getting too old to believe in shrinking tables.

No comments:

Post a Comment