Thursday, October 14, 2004

doctor's orders

WebMD is the devil. I swear, it would turn the most level-headed, healthy person into a sniffling, coughing, complaining hypocondriac.

I started to get a fever again last night, but this time I was smart and took some medicine BEFORE the violent shivering started. Then I noticed that my stomach kind of hurt in the same way it did the night before (I don't know if I mentioned that). It wasn't like a stabbing pain or anything, but definitely wasn't pleasant. So, since I couldn't sleep anyway, I decided to see what WebMD had to say.

Over the course of about 25 minutes, I convinced myself I had one (or all) of the following: appendicitis, ovarian cancer, meningitis, hypothyroidism, and some sort of parasite.

The list would have been longer, but I made myself close WebMD and go to bed. Of course, then I just sat in bed trying to decide if my abdominal pain was localized, and if so, if the pain was in a place that would suggest appendicitis.

Paranoia. It's not pretty. I should have known better. After all, I hate going to the real doctor. I have white coat syndrome. Every time I'm in a doctor's office, my blood pressure skyrockets. Once, at the OB-GYN, my blood pressure was so high that the nurse freaked out and sent me home rather than give me a pelvic exam. And I was totally fine with that.

Sorry. I think that was probably too much information.

No comments:

Post a Comment