Tuesday, January 29, 2008

it's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine)

As I'm sure you all know, last night was President Bush's last State of the Union address. EVER. Like . . . no more. He's done. Well, with state-of-the-unioning anyway. We're so close to the end, you guys. I remember way back in 2004, when he'd just been reelected and I was bitter. Oh so bitter. It seemed like this day would never come. I was all, "FOUR MORE YEARS OF THIS CRAP I CAN'T DO IT AARRHHREWERDHFSDF." For real, that is what I said, but I might have misspelled that last part.

Still, I didn't watch it. One, because I was at someone else's house and I thought if I watched it I might accidentally punch a rage-hole in their wall or TV and I can't afford to fix that and TWO, because I had just finished watching United 93 which GUESS WHAT was a huge mistake because I sobbed like crazy through the majority of it. What I was thinking, I don't know, but do you know what I DO know? My gym played that movie in the Cardio Cinema one time and I stayed far, far away that night because this other time? They showed Hotel Rwanda and I had to leave the room because, yes, these are both good movies, but do they make you want to work out? No. They make you want to throw yourself under the treadmill which PROBABLY wouldn't even kill you. You'd just end up with this mangled, claw hand or something and people would be like, "What happened to your hand?" and you'd stare into space and get this faraway, haunted look in your eye and whisper, ". . . Hotel Rwanda."

So, no, I did not watch the chimp last night, but I have been paying more and more attention to the upcoming election. You know. The big one. I tried not to pay much attention at first, because it seemed too soon and also The Daily Show was off the air on account of the strike and I don't know how I can be expected to know what to think if Jon Stewart doesn't tell me (note to my Republican family members - that was a joke). I know who I'm voting for in the primary and hope that's who I'll end up voting for in the presidential election, but I'm afraid to get my hopes up. Especially after last time, when I wallowed in soul-crushing defeat for a good month or two.

_____

Speaking of the government, today on The Collective, Abigail tells you why she hates it and why you should, too.

8 comments:

  1. i think i FINALLY decided who to vote for in the primaries. so, you know, that's something i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never vote in the primaries. Aren't I a terrible role model? I guess I just don't feel strongly enough about one candidate to choose. Plus, who wants to be the equivalent of that guy with the Kucinich '04 bumper sticker stuck to his car? Not this one. Because I'm a WINNER. Okay, not really. Like, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kat! that's a very important step.

    mg! it's OK, I won't judge you. Heh. I understand, because if you aren't all excited about who you're voting for, it's just not as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Jennie, I have to ask -- hypothetically speaking, in November, if a Republican gets elected again, are there any candidates in the running right now that you'd be able to tolerate for 4 years, or would you get really bitter again no matter which Republican was elected? (I make no judgment. This is merely a curiosity thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, so in Washington State, we don't even GET to vote in the primaries unless we're registered as Republican or Democrat. I'm a registered Independent, so I don't even get to vote until November. but I won't sell out. They can kill me, but they can't box me in. No one puts Baby in the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. S - There's one candidate that I could tolerate. The rest? I might end up throwing myself off a bridge.

    Shari - that sucks! I'm sorry that they took away your right to pick the lesser of several evils. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hotel Rwanda, seriously?? What kind of gym is this?? I thought having to watch pointless MTV drivel at the gym was bad enough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. touche! (umm, is that how you spell that?! it looks a little like... ya know, douche?)

    ReplyDelete