Saturday, June 05, 2004

camping and llamas and emus, oh my!

Today we went to the graduation party of someone I've known since he was born. They live in Bellefontaine, and our parents have been friends forever. Literally, our dads have known each other since they were born; they were delivered in the same hospital or something.

Larry and Julie (my parents' friends) have two kids. Erica, who is a year younger than I am, and Joe, the one who graduated from high school. They moved to Bellefontaine (that's in the country, ya'll) when I was in like 2nd grade or something so they've lived there for a long time. We used to go visit all the time when us kids were all young. Erica is the one I got lost in the woods with when we went to Kiser Lake. I forgot, we all used to go camping together, too, and inevitably, something bad would always happen. Once, Joe got shingles. Another time, Erica and I got lost. But the most memorable was the time we went to Bob Evans Farm.

You heard me.

Bob Evans Farm and Campgrounds. We should have known the trip wasn't going to go well, because when Larry and my dad tried to set up one of the tents (while the moms and the kids watched from the pop-up trailer, because it was raining) the wind caught it and it went flying away. Our dads went running after it, slipping and sliding on the wet grass. I cannot express to you how funny that was.

Other memorable events from that trip: our dads tried to take us fishing, but the lines on our fishing rods kept getting stuck in trees. I think I caught a fish, but it was about the size of a goldfish you'd buy at the pet store, if not smaller. I threw it back in the river (after my dad took it off the hook for me) but I got upset later when I saw the same fish floating in the water, dead. I'm pretty sure that's the last time I ever fished. We also tried to go canoeing, but the river was too shallow so we kept getting stuck on logs and trees and stuff that had fallen in the water. We went wading in the river, and I fell in a hole. I want to say that we went horseback riding, but I can't really remember any of the details. I'm assuming that's because something really traumatic happened and I've buried it deep within my subconscious.

I'm not even going to talk about the bathrooms, except to say that we went outside when we could. They were that bad.

And, perhaps the worst thing was that we had to eat Bob Evans food every day, because it rained so often we couldn't start a very good fire.

Hey Heidi, today on our way to Bellefontaine, we passed your house. I waved, but I don't think your house waved back.

We also passed a house with what I thought was an ostrich in the yard, but luckily before I blurted anything stupid (like, "hey, where does that ostrich stick its head when it gets scared since there's no sand?" Do ostriches really do that?), anyway, I realized it was an emu. And we drove a different way on the way home and we passed a llama farm or something. I don't know. There were lots of llamas and they looked like babies. Not baby-babies, but llama-babies.

I just saw a preview for the movie Saved! And I don't care if it's wrong, but every time I see Mandy Moore throw her bible at that girl and scream "I am filled with Christ's love!" I crack up.


Reading: Family Trust by Amanda Brown, who wrote Legally Blonde, which I didn't even know was a book before it was a movie.
Watching: SNL, and you know, I used to be Jimmy Fallon's biggest fan, and while I still think he's adorable, he really sucks. I mean, seriously. Stop laughing THROUGH EVERY GODDAMN SKETCH YOU'RE IN. You too, Horatio Fatass.
Wondering: Why I'm watching SNL. Because it sucks.

1 comment:

  1. And Jimmy Fallon left SNL. So it's gonna get worse.
    Ooooh! I saw your Erica last night in the Oregon District! She was shake-shake-shaking it like a saltshaker.

    I am filled with Christ's love too.

    ReplyDelete